This position serves as an Assistant Teacher for a Head Start classroom. The assistant teacher shares responsibility for a Head Start classroom of 3- to 5-year-old children. S/he works collaboratively with the teacher, family members and other staff to achieve positive outcomes for children of all abilities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The Assistant Teacher will ultimately be evaluated on a combination of skills, dispositions and behaviors, some of which are related to the specific service area of this position and others that represent general expectations. The assistant teacher’s role encompasses effective practices in the following:
- Teacher-child interactions
- Learning environment
- Child assessment
- Meeting all children’s needs
- Working with families
- Professional growth and collaboration
- Ability to sit most of the time with some bending and reaching.
- Ability to stand, walk, and bend periodically.
- Ability to engage in repetitive movement of wrists, hands, and fingers – typing and/or writing.
- Ability to work frequently at close visual range (i.e. preparing and analyzing data and figures,
- accounting, transcription, computer terminal, extensive reading).
- Ability to receive and respond to oral communication.
- Ability to exert up to 10 pounds of force to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Work is generally performed in an office environment.
- Noise level in the work environment is moderate to occasionally loud
- May be required to operate a motor vehicle during the course of duties.
Standard office equipment generally used includes:
- Personal Computer or Tablet
- Printer/Photocopy Machine
- Fax Machine
- A Child Development Associate (CDA) credential or a state awarded certificate that meets or exceeds the requirements for a CDA credential, are enrolled in a program that will lead to an associate or baccalaureate degree or are enrolled in a CDA credential program to be completed within two years of the time of hire.
- Physical exam and background checks are required for this position.
- Travel required locally or long-distance up to 10% of the time for work-related meetings and functions.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
|Job Category||All Job Posts, Education|